Rotten Tomatoes II-It’s OK to be Takei!

In my post on April 24th titled “Rotten Tomatoes:  TN Senate Says “No ‘Gay’ or ‘Homosexuality’ ” in Schools” (tomatoes are the Tennessee state fruit), I discussed the intention of the Tennessee Congress to make it illegal to say “gay” or “homosexuality” in Tennessee schools.

Well, now that Mr. Sulu has been made aware of the issue, he has a solution:
If you also recognize the inherent danger of a culture that prohibits the use of certain words (Bask in your thought crime!), then I implore you to take action.  Re-posted below are the links to the Tennessee Senate and House of Representatives along with an open letter that you can copy and paste into an e-mail.  (Just make sure to change the “xxx”s to the relevant names.)

NOTE:  This letter is NOT copyrighted, so please feel free to make changes and adjustments as you see fit. You’ve already taken notice, now take the next step!  

And don’t forget to live long and prosper, yo!

Tennessee senate page (there are links to all the senators’ pages here):
-Senator Stacey Campfield – The originator of the “Don’t Say ‘Gay’ ” bill
-Senator Jim Tracy – The senator who contended that homosexuality was being discussed in classrooms in the first place.  (Read the Knoxnews article for more details.)
-Senator Brian Kelsey – The senator who put forth the change to the Tracy amendment to make it illegal to discuss homosexuality in schools
-Tennessee House Speaker Beth Harwell.  (There are also links to other representatives on this page.  Please know that you do NOT have to be a constituent of representatives outside of your state to share your opinion with them.)


Dear Senator/Representative XXX:

I am deeply concerned and angered by the recent passing of measure SB49 in the Tennessee Senate.  A measure such as this is both dangerous and misleading to the public, and it puts at risk the people we have the responsibility to protect most – our children.  By banning teachers, administrators and counselors from even discussing homosexuality with children, you set the stage for life-altering and potentially life-threatening repercussions.  A child who is in the midst of puberty and is confused about his or her feelings for the same sex, but is afraid to confide in family adults may not have any other options outside of the school counselor.  It is the counselor’s job to help the children under their care, and by taking away their ability to discuss a concern a child may have over being homosexual, you are preventing them from being able to do their jobs effectively.  Children with no one to turn to may become violent, depressed and even suicidal.  What is worse, children who are singled out for being or being perceived as gay will have no authority in their corner. 

The only thing this measure serves to do is promote the current and unacceptable standard of hatred and bigotry in our society.  “Family planning” does not mean ignoring the rights of 12% of the population, and banning the discussion of homosexuality does not mean you are promoting the rights of the other 88%.  If you want to educate children, teaching them that someone is different and therefore undeserving of equal rights and protection under the law is not the way.  I encourage you to please rethink your actions, and if you have not yet voted on this measure, I sincerely hope you will vote “no”.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

[Your Name]
Advertisements